Sunday, March 19, 2017

Ibyss Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new ep?
Jens: Well, songwriting for a follow-up has slowly began to take shape. Right now, we are preparing for a series of gigs.

2.Recently you have released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
Nihil: Our debut album was experimental as we wrote the songs via demos without entering the rehearsal room a few weeks before our first gig. We came from a five man band and had to start at zero. After lots of gigs we knew which direction to head to. We wrote the new songs in the rehearsal room with the live performance in mind. Less baggage, more dynamic hooks and focus on songwriting. 

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?

Jens: We are living in strange times. The rise of what I call "false individualism" has created a society of self-centred fucks. Everyone seems to be an egomaniac asshole this days. Nobody takes responsibility for personal misbehaviour anymore. Everything is instantly covered up by excuses like “it is my right as a modern person to treat you like shit” or “you are preventing me from self-expression”, which ultimately leads to “if you point out my faults, I´ll label it as hate speech”. So, there are these little trigger terms everywhere, and everybody seems to get away with them quite easily. Personally, I´ve always tried to stand true to my inner self, my faults and good or bad behaviour. And, I´ve always tried to get in touch with people, rather than to point out my so-called individuality by treating them like shit and hide behind some artificial key phrases or trigger words.

4.According to the information I have received so far the band has been turned down by a lot of metal and industrial websites due to the album title, do you feel this politically correct attitude that the modern underground music media has these days have is harming or destroying the music?
Nihil: Yes, sadly. I believe in free speech and liberty. Our culture is facing a rush for regulations and laws against "Hate Speech". It won´t take too long to turn those laws against our beloved Metal and Rock subculture. Just wait and see....
It seems the mainstream news and entertainment media picked up the same doctrine that was upheld by the old religious institutions. They are the new pseudo-religious institution now by promoting the "institutionalized sin": You´re born evil and immoral thru no false or action of your own.
You know, it´s very annoying to be lectured about political correctness and ethics by the same magazines who share Corey Taylor´s Tweets as their main journalistic ouput on a daily basis.
If they deny to review and write about our band: fuck ´em. We found your magazine and more and more readers will follow and discover all the unbiased and open minded webzines around the world once they are tired of the mainstream media.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ibyss'?
Nihil: Pretty simple. It´s a combination of "I" and "Abyss". Spelled [aiˈbɪs]. We went for a short name which had to fit our stripped-down concept. Back then we created a concept around "exploring the Abyss within yourself" but without the usual element of "Angst". Due to our budget we did not pick it up again in terms of artwork or presentation but we sticked to the name as it sounds cool.

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?
Jens: Sometimes, I would be happy to play in a full band again, especially live. But working as a duo is much faster and easier.
Nihil: Our band will always be the two of us but we are open to the idea of hiring a live-bassist
should we ever enter bigger stages on a regular basis. So far everything worked out fine for the two of us on-stage and off-stage.

7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Nihil: Our last gig at a location in Düsseldorf, which has been the center of the alternative music scene back in the day, where bands like Die Krupps started. We opened for Tommi Stumpff. It was the biggest crowd so far and our best performance to this day. And our first gig in a small store which was completely packed with our friends.

8.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Jens: Touring isn´t an option at this stage of our career. It would be simply too expensive and you know, we both have regular dayjobs and this strange little thing called private life. At least Nihil.
9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Nihil: Strangely, we did receive some offers from distributors and labels but after checking
we had to pass. Makes no sense to spend thousands of bucks for simple services we can organize for much less while keeping artistic control. 

10.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal and industrial?
Jens: Suprisingly well. Not a single bad review until now. Honestly I don´t give a flying shit on other peoples oppinions, because you know....you can´t force somebody into anything. But we are surprised by the support we get from international webzines.

11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Nihil: Probably adding an 8string guitar into our sonic arsenal very soon. But I can promise it won´t sound anything DJent. We might just explore the deep regions of the "Ibyss" and add
a lower dimension to our repertoire without the Meshuggah riff-cloning that´s been going on in the last years. 
Jens: Yeah, like Nihil said. I don´t know for sure. I don´t think it is a good idea to overthink or plan creativity. I definitely want to see some faster and more aggressive stuff, but maybe we are going to end up making electro-hillbilly. We´ll see.
12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays.

Nihil: I won´t deny I´ve always been a fan of so-called Groove Metal. Back in the day when Pantera, Sepultura, Helmet and Machine Head kicked ass. Nowadays I´m looking for bands I missed back then like Nailbomb. I also fell in love with demos as they have this raw, unpolished sound. The first Fear Factory demos are just amazing. Discogs and Bandcamp are places I spend hours searching for bands like Maximum Sexy Pigeon, Viral Millenium, U.L.A.A and so on.
Jens: I certainly didn´t miss out on Nailbomb. Helmet and Godlflesh have been great influences too. But to be honest, I don´t listen to much industrial-metal anymore. Today I prefer all kinds of Black and Death Metal. Further I recommend everyone to give King Dude, Darkher, Netherbird, Albez Duz and Coldworld a listen. Oh, and I love Meshuggah.

13.What are some of your non musical interests?
Jens: Getting old and losing shape, licking sermons?! Just normal everyday stuff. Otherwise, I do read quite a lot.

Nihil: I have a hard time staying focused while reading books but I´ll admit I´m a huge fan
of William Gibson. Soccer has been my virtiol since my childhood and I love running. Oh and I love to shake and throw some dice in an imaginary dystopian environment from time to time, if you know what I´m talking about....

14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Jens:  "I've always rejected being understood. To be understood is to prostitute oneself. I prefer to be taken seriously for what I'm not, remaining humanly unknown, with naturalness and all due respect" - Fernando Pessoa
Nihil: "Give me Liberty, or give me Death" is my favourite quote these days. Let´s keep our liberties and freedom of artistic expression in this amazing subculture we call Heavy Metal.


No comments:

Post a Comment